Welcome to Family Voices of North Dakota! Caring for children with special needs and disabilities can be at times overwhelming, exhausting and complex. Often families and caregivers struggle to find the resources and services their child and family may need. Family Voices of North Dakota is there to help families because we are too are parents who have children/youth and young adults with chronic health, physical, developmental and mental health challenges.
Family Voices of ND is the Family Voices State Affiliate Organization.
Family Voices aims to achieve family-centered care for all children and youth with special health care needs and/or disabilities. Through this national network, Family Voices provides families tools to make informed decisions, advocates for improved public and private policies, builds partnerships among professionals and families, and serves as a trusted resource on health care.
FVND is home to ND Parent to Parent and the Family to Family Health Information and Education Center (F2FHIEC)
The FVND F2FHIEC and ND Parent to Parent:
- Assist families as they navigate public and private systems, including health systems and insurance plans, public and private services for their children and youth having special challenges.
- Provide assistance to families in accessing services and resources for their children and how to partner with providers and caregivers
- Listen to families as they describe their encounters with systems and help guide them to possible solutions.
- To work with families, health care providers, public and private agencies, and advocacy or support groups to promote family-centered care and medical homes for children with special health care needs.
- To promote discussion and linkages among families, providers, and government to better serve the health care and related needs of children and families in North Dakota.
- Developing, producing and disseminating educational and resource materials.
- Technical assistance and workshops on health care financing and best practices for children with special health care needs, as well as ND Parent to Parent support trainings.
- We provide support to families to have a voice in the design, development, implementation, and monitoring of health policies and programs for children and families.
- Provide 1:1 emotional support and assistance; matching families to veteran parents.
- We document family needs and family stories as a basis for policy planning and service implementation.
Family Voices of ND Health Information and Education Center is funded by a grant from the US Department of Human Services’ Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau (Project #1 H84MC07992-01-00) and the North Dakota Department of Health (Title V, Children’s Special Services) and Parent to Parent Project by ND State Council on Developmental Disabilities
Family Voices Video
Good Health TV Announcement
Family Voices of North Dakota was awarded a grant from the Maternal and Child Health Bureau to increase our services to the families in North Dakota by establishing a Family-to-Family Health Information Center (F2FHIEC).
F2F HICs “Family To Family Health and Education Center” were established in all States and the District of Columbia by the Family Opportunity Act / Deficit Reduction Act of 2005. The Affordable Care Act of 2010 extended the F2F HIC Program through fiscal year 2014.